Episode 1 Discussion: "To Challenge the Sun"

Shredder 11-08-2004 10:23 PM
As far as the drama, it's a little of everything without going into too much detail. A lot of it is mystery, as the brothers try to find out what the Philosopher's Stone is and where/how to obtain it. There is action/fighting involved as others are also looking for it, but there doesn't seem to be one main enemy (although others may argue against that). A lot of the drama is also character-based, as Ed and Al in particular mature over the course of the series. There's a lot of interesting characters in this show and you don't always know who is "trustworthy" or not. There are some disturbing and traumatic scenes that occur, so if you think of drama in those terms, it's got that, too. There's also some pretty major plot twists throughout the series, so it does keep you guessing.
Madrona 11-09-2004 10:15 AM
I enjoyed watching this show. The beginning had me just a little confused, but thats okay. I figured it would all make sense eventually.

As far as the voices go. I agree with Schoolie, Al seems to have lost his body at a young age. His voice really should be young. The other's don't bother me at all

I'd like to know more about the woman who knew that ED was a FMA. She was obviouly working with Cornelo. Who is this woman? Though if the answer is going to spoil the plot then....never mind.

On a slightly off topic bit...I recorded this using my Tivo/DVR. I had a lot of break up. Did anyone else have this problem. I noticed the same isuue with Ghost in the Shell. (but not with the commercials in between)

Anyway...thanks for bringing this show to our attention. I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

Madrona
Delta 11-09-2004 03:04 PM
The woman you refered to is Lust. She doesn't work with Cornelo. At least, not exclusively. Who and what she is exactly is revealed much later on (but there is a very big hint in episode 3, during the flashback. Look out for it!) Her cohort is Gluttony. They both play a very big role in the rest of the series.

If you really want to know what he is however...

spoiler (highlight to read):
For those of you who enjoy being spoiled, Lust and Gluttony are Homonculus. Artificial humans. They are immortal, and really nasty.

Do not read these last two unless you want some really interesting plot devices revealed to you!

BIG SPOILER

Where do they come from? Homonculus are the result of failed human transmutations. They are "creatures" that are brought over from the other side of the Gate. They are supposed to be human, but because not enough sacrifice has been made, the result is an incomplete human. A Homonculus.

EVEN BIGGER SPOILER

Remember how Ed and Al tried to bring back their dead mother, and in return, they got a mishapen, horrifying creature? Notice how it just kinda..disappeared? Well, you see it again later on, in the form of Sloth. There are several Homonculus. Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Pride, and Wrath. I think they're supposed to represent the deadly sins of the bible. Well, I've revealed enough for you all. Enjoy.
Wingnut 11-09-2004 07:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Delta
Remember how Ed and Al tried to bring back their dead mother, and in return, they got a mishapen, horrifying creature? Notice how it just kinda..disappeared? Well, you see it again later on, in the form of Sloth. There are several Homonculus. Lust, Gluttony, Envy, Greed, Sloth, Pride, and Wrath. I think they're supposed to represent the deadly sins of the bible. Well, I've revealed enough for you all. Enjoy.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head there. And like the resemblence between the artwork on Schwarzwald's flyer and the Big's themselves (and perhaps their pilots as well) I doubt that it is mere coincidence.
Tifaria 11-09-2004 10:07 PM
Whew! I finally had time to sit and watch my recording of this.

Well, I wasn't blown away or anything, but it was only the first episode, so I'm willing to try it out. I liked the dub; I'm very easy to please when it comes to english voices. I prefer to listen to the show instead of having to concentrate on the subtitles (I have such a short attention span that I usually miss most of what's actually happening and keep having to back up the tape or whatever.. it gets old really fast), so I'm happy with these voices. I thought Edward sounded appropriately bratty, and Alphonse's voice is adorable. I want to hug him. The rest were adequate.

I'm curious to where the story's going to go, so I'll probably keep watching. I don't know anything about it beyond the basic storyline, so I'm hoping to keep myself spoiler-free the whole way through in order to form a (mostly) unbiased opinion. Smile )
Barrin 11-10-2004 11:30 AM
I'm having no problems with the voices, espacially the brothers. I think it fits them very well; a match to their ages and personality. 'course, I usually watch dubs anyway...
I am wondering what Al's battle abilites will be. Having a spear appear out of sand was a neat trick, and both look like they are strong.

On a final note, someone mentioned this might be like Trigun, with comedy, action, and heavy plot. I've been hoping for another Trigun.
Shredder 11-11-2004 10:52 PM
Just a quick reminder if anyone wants to begin following FMA as it airs on CN, the first ep repeats tonight at 11:30 Central/12:30 Eastern. Anyone just jumping in, stick with it, you will be hooked! Smile )
evanASF27 11-12-2004 01:54 AM
Did anyone else happen to notice that in the scene where they tried to revive their mother...that ed's left arm was missing in one clip and then in the next it was his right?

yah I know this is a crappy post...but I've seen shorter and more random ones in Big O discussion threads Tongue
Prons 11-12-2004 02:56 AM
Pretty interesting, but I think episode 1 should have had a fight scene.

But I wonder, whats so wrong about having a metal arm? It seems kind of cool.
Dude Love 11-12-2004 05:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prons
Pretty interesting, but I think episode 1 should have had a fight scene.

But I wonder, whats so wrong about having a metal arm? It seems kind of cool.

Shock value, perhaps. Or, alternatively, it could just be a society prejudiced against un-whole people. Though, I'd argue it's the first. Surely, no one expects you to have a fully functional metal arm.
Paradigm Dog 11-12-2004 08:56 PM
From the first episode I do have to say it feels like TRIGUN, only with an animation style that's not as sophisticated.

First episode left me with good impressions. Not leap-out-of-your-seat -and-fall-over like say, Gundam Wing, but not bad at all. I'll have to keep watching. The complex undertones and Ed's character intrigue me.
Ano Hito 03-26-2006 12:09 AM
Wow, it was weird seeing the first episode again after all this time. It really makes you realize how much Ed grew as a character throughout the series. And of course catching all the little foreshadowy hints of things to come.
Jstar136 03-26-2006 12:42 AM
Ed's face is so... round!

Poor Rose, a fleeting glimpse before she was violated. Crying
Sephiroth 03-26-2006 12:10 PM
Yea, rewatching this episode now, is just a little wierd. Knowing what happens in the rest of the series just makes everything seem different. For instance, seeing Lust and Gluttony together and working on their oringinal scheme is pretty wierd knowing how those two turn out in the end. Seeing Rose, pre-Dante, was equally wierd. Plus, knowing what I know about Tucker, I get why Ed was so disturbed by Cornello's Chimera. You know, it's going to be really really wierd to see the episode where Lyla first appeared, given what happens to her in the end.
Nine Kuze 03-27-2006 01:03 PM
Yeah, I was caught off guard when they showed the first episode too. I mean, knowing that Edward and Alphonse get killed and sacrifice each other by a difference of fifteen minutes apart at the end just makes things weird by watching it all over again.

quote:
Ed's face is so... round!

Yeah, that was startling too. He grows up sooo fast. Him and Alphonse. And its cool just to see Lust again, doing her good ol' shady ways with her good ol' partner, Gluttony. Ah, good times. Big Grin

quote:
You know, it's going to be really really wierd to see the episode where Lyla first appeared, given what happens to her in the end.

Yes, yes it is. Talk about AWKWARD...
Peace.
StevieV019 03-28-2006 08:17 AM
Going along with the age discussion we had in the other thread (Episode 51 Discussion- The Final Episode), you'll notice that Ed and Al are 15 and 14 years old when they arrive in Lior and meet Lust and Gluttony in this first episode...

Which leads me to ask this question (I didnt notice whether Ed had his watch or not): Is Ed a state alchemist at this point? Or is this before he sat for the exam?

Obviously, taking into consideration the episodic progession, we'll see Ed take the test later on down the road. But, its been so long since I saw the beginning, did they flashback at some point to show how he passed to alchemy exam, or is this part of the series just before Ed attempted the exam?

Just stuff to think about...
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-28-2006 03:30 PM
The inside-out...ohhh...creppy...the eyes...it was so scary...(dies) Dead
I AM REVIVED! Shocked
I love Ed's English voice actor! Big Grin His voice is so cute coming from Ed's mouth! Pleased
I saw the whole seiries, and lemme tell ya, if your just seeing FMA for the first time...you are in for a really cool anime experience. Cool
Nine Kuze 03-28-2006 04:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Going along with the age discussion we had in the other thread (Episode 51 Discussion- The Final Episode), you'll notice that Ed and Al are 15 and 14 years old when they arrive in Lior and meet Lust and Gluttony in this first episode...

Which leads me to ask this question (I didnt notice whether Ed had his watch or not): Is Ed a state alchemist at this point? Or is this before he sat for the exam?

Obviously, taking into consideration the episodic progession, we'll see Ed take the test later on down the road. But, its been so long since I saw the beginning, did they flashback at some point to show how he passed to alchemy exam, or is this part of the series just before Ed attempted the exam?

Just stuff to think about...

At the point of the first episode, Edward is already a state alchemist. Lust even said so in the beginning stating that he and Alphonse were famous around Central and Edward's codename for the state was the "FullMetal Alchemist".

Anyway, I want to take this time to apologize to Stevie because he seemed to have the dates right and I was in the wrong. My bad, man. It was 1910 when Edward and Alphonse tried the human transmutation, Edward was 11 and Alphonse was 10. Damn it, I knew one of them was born in 1900 and it was Alphonse, not Edward like I previously thought.
Peace.
StevieV019 03-29-2006 08:18 AM
Nine...apology not necessary, but thanks man...anyway...

So, when they turn back the clock in the near future and show how the human transmutation didnt work...they're going to pick up the story after that event, but before episode 1, right? (when considering the timeline within the series)

Obviously after the failed transmutation of their mother, Ed and Al go to take the alchemist exam and spend a year studying at Shou Tucker's place in preparation for the exam...but this is supposed to take place BEFORE episode 1, right?

Just clarifying some things...
Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 02:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Nine...apology not necessary, but thanks man...anyway...

So, when they turn back the clock in the near future and show how the human transmutation didnt work...they're going to pick up the story after that event, but before episode 1, right? (when considering the timeline within the series)

Obviously after the failed transmutation of their mother, Ed and Al go to take the alchemist exam and spend a year studying at Shou Tucker's place in preparation for the exam...but this is supposed to take place BEFORE episode 1, right?

Just clarifying some things...

Okay, this is how it goes:

The first thing we see is Edward and Alphonse getting ready to perform the transmutation, they do, Edward loses his leg, Alphonse is gone, and Edward sees Sloth. This happened on February 1910. Edward is 11 and Alphonse is 10.

Fast forward to 1914. Edward is 15 and Alphonse is 14 (technically). They are traveling to Lior to find the Philosopher's Stone, they met Rose and Cornello, and find out the Stone's a fake and leave Lior (I think back to Central).

After episode 2, they go back a couple years before 1910 to document the Elric brothers and their childhood with their mother, Trisha Elric, when everything hits the fan with the human transmutation, and how they left Resembool to travel to Central City to join the Military. When that happens, it is 1911. Edward is 12 and Alphonse is 11. It takes a year for Edward to get use to his automail and from 1911 to 1914 and 1915, they search in vain for the Philosopher's Stone. The majority of the series that is shown to us is from 1914 to 1915.

Damn. Now I hope that helps. Big Grin
Peace.