Episode 1 Discussion: "To Challenge the Sun"

Mike 11-07-2004 11:13 AM
I sort of missed the beginning, and I was only quasi-paying attention, and it was 3 am, but still what I saw was really cool. I'll have to remember to watch this every week.
Asirt 11-07-2004 11:17 AM
quote:
FMAs out on dvd in the UK in may!

That's a pretty long time. Then again, the US release is on Feb. 8th.
It's too bad that I didn't get to hear the opening theme, and the ending theme as well. (The ending theme was different, I think...) The dubbing was pretty good; all the characters seem to match their voices well.

However, the one thing that I really liked about FMA is the whole "Science is the answer to all your problems" kind of thing. The first episode showed that. I thought that Edward and Al were using magic, but rather alchemy to do the things they did. It may seem annoying to some, but personally, I thought that was the thing (apart from the action and music) that got me into this series now.
Dude Love 11-07-2004 11:40 AM
Very good. I've enjoyed this episode very much, and am looking forward to seeing more Smile .

I really enjoy the theme, as Pen also mentioned. That of the conflict of Science and Religion. I've always found that topic interesting (such as discussing it in Theology class at my school).

So, this looks really good.
Wingnut 11-07-2004 11:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
friggin awesome. I'm gonna keep watchin this series Big Grin

(I'm guessin it's going to be like TRIGUN in a way...comedy in the first bit and then it gets more and more serious as it gets towards the end)

That's what I thought as well.
I must say though This guy has the shortest fuse I have ever seen when it comes to being picked on because of his size despite being the older brother. Although haveing your younger brother being a suit of armor doesn't help much to deter that however.
Zopwx2 11-07-2004 11:58 AM
To be honest I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be much less childish than I thought.

First off even though "alchemy" is pretty much magic, still the underlying fact that its perfectly understandable and follows clearly defined laws make it a metaphor for science.

I too love how right off in the first episode they're challanging religion.

Plus the opening scene was awesome.

Yeah you guys could be right on with that trigun analogy.
BabyGhia 11-07-2004 05:20 PM
It grabbed enough of my attention for me to want to see the next episode. However, I'm not really sure yet about it... but I'm going to give it a chance.

Interesting premise.

BabyGhia
Shredder 11-07-2004 07:14 PM
The "science vs. religion" theme is only really significant in Lior (the city with Rose and Cornello where the first two eps take place), because Cornello is obviously using what appears to be alchemy in order to convince the people he's some kind of prophet for the "sun god." Otherwise, it's actually not really a prominent theme throughout the show. Episode 3 explains about their background and story moves in other directions from there. I'd watch at least past 3 before deciding to watch or not watch the show, because I don't really think the first two are the best representative eps for the series.

It didn't appear cut to me, although the ending was actually the second opening. I'm not sure I like the dub voices, but I hope the story comes through well. Ed sounds too old and Al (who I heard is actually being voiced by a kid) sounds a little off, too. But I guess I should have expected this from Funimation. I hope the other important voices are better and that the main two improve some...

I'm glad some of you seem to like it. It does get better. Smile )
Krang 11-07-2004 07:49 PM
Glad to see that many of you like it so far, and to those of you that don't, you should at least watch another episode or two before giving up on it completely (as I have heard before that some people think it starts out a little slow). Now to address a few comments:

quote:
Originally posted by Avenir
I found it to be quite entertaining, I will be catching next week's episode. But one thing I found worth nitpicking over was the dub, it was mediocre. Oh well, something to be expected from a company like FUNimation. Roll Eyes

Yeah, the casting wasn't the best and some of the voices need work, but I was glad to see that I didn't notice much (if any) of the typical FUNi added-in corny jokes and dialog.

quote:
Originally posted by stryker
Elric is a complete brat, and this constant "Alchemy is SCIENCE" is getting on my nerves. Plus he's another teen with Ahnuld strength to go with his super powers.

Sigh, I miss Big O... Frown

Ghost in the Shell was good tho.

Like Shredder said, the science aspect is really only emphasized in the first two episodes. Beyond that, you won't hear much of it. And Ed is really not that strong, he just uses his surroundings to his advantage through the use of alchemy (and as you can see from Cornello, Ed and Al are not the only ones who use alchemy).

quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Anyway, I really see no resemblence to Big O whatsoever, but that was an amazing episode.

The resemblence is in the deep plot and mystery aspects, so don't expect to see a Roger look-a-like or any giant robots. Tongue But like Big O, you'll soon notice that FMA starts off episodic before developing the main plot.

quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
It's too bad that I didn't get to hear the opening theme, and the ending theme as well. (The ending theme was different, I think...)

For the first episode (and this applies to the original version as well), there was no opening, and the opening theme aired at the end (FUNi used "Ready Steady Go," which is actually the second opening, instead of "Melissa," the first opening).

BTW, for those of you confused by the opening scene, keep watching, since it will be explained in the next few episodes.
Tickle Tickle 11-07-2004 08:52 PM
quote:
Anyway, I really see no resemblence to Big O whatsoever, but that was an amazing episode.

*GASP*

You forgot about our favorite one-time-alchemist from Big O? ; )

Just wondering, is the anime close to the manga? Has the anime and manga ended already?
Asirt 11-07-2004 08:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Super Umino
Just wondering, is the anime close to the manga? Has the anime and manga ended already?

Well, the anime has ended already. The movie is still being made as is the second PS2 video game. I'm not sure about the other question, as I believe the manga has not come out in the US yet.
Shredder 11-07-2004 09:17 PM
quote:
quote:

*GASP*

Actually, there is a character who reminds me of Eugene who appears about 10 eps into the series, only creepier because we get more info on his background... Wink

I'm less familiar with the manga (although I do plan to read it when it's brought over). I've heard that it's much longer and more action/comedy focused, with less of the drama of the anime version. It'd be interesting to see sort of an alternate take on the series, even though the anime is based on the manga.
evanASF27 11-07-2004 09:20 PM
quote:
quote:

*GASP*

technically he was a geneticist...trying to mutate/create/screwaroundwith life. His biggest umm...success (as it were) was the Hydra.
He used science...but not really alchemy...

err...but I'm probably missing the sarcasm and taking that way too seriously Embarrassed Sweatdrop My appologies.

Now then...err...>_>...<_<...when's the next episode? o.o
Asirt 11-07-2004 09:22 PM
quote:
Now then...err...>_>...<_<...when's the next episode? o.o

It will most likely be on Saturday. There will also be an encore showing of the first episode this Thursday at 12:30 AM, so...

I've seen bits and bits of the manga on the net. It seems to be closely related to the anime. It's a bit longer than the anime series.
Zopwx2 11-07-2004 09:49 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

*GASP*

technically he was a geneticist...trying to mutate/create/screwaroundwith life. His biggest umm...success (as it were) was the Hydra.

You mean the chimera, I thought the oldman made the hydra...... and paradigm co used his genetic research to make the triple headed one....

But this is a fullmetal alchemist thread.

Why is he called the full metal alchmemist?

The 1st ep made it seem as though that was his brothers name and he just took it.

Or is it becuase of his prosthetic limbs.....

or somthing else@!!!! dun dun dun.
Delta 11-07-2004 10:34 PM
Ahem.

I have seen the entire Full Metal Alchemist series. ^^; Allow me to give my view on things.

Not great, but not terrible. Call me a purist, which I'll admit to, but I didn't like many of the voices. Ed and Rose sounded too old. Al wasn't too bad. Cornelo was terrible, but as he's a minor role, I'm not too upset. Lust was fair enough. Gluttony I don't have a fair view on yet of course, but just from that laugh, I can tell his voice is going to be radically different. I thought the Japanese voice work was *excellent*, and I can tell already that the dub simply won't be able to match it.

Also, it appears nothing was butchered, save for the opening and ending. We'll see how much this lasts. FMA does have some gruesome/disturbing moments ahead.

Also, in regards to the Eugene comparision..

spoiler (highlight to read):
We've already been introduced to Chimeras. They aren't limited to Cornelo. Things get pretty messed up, especially in episodes 7 and 8 I believe. We are introduced to Shou Tucker, the Sewing Life Alchemist. He actually ends up transmutating his daughter and his dog into a single chimera! I'll tell you, this scene really disturbed me, almost to the point of being sick. Not that it was graphicly horrible, but the throught of a father doing such a thing to his family...terrible... This is the mark of a good anime, when it can affect the viewer in such a way.

And the Full Metal Alchemist title...

It's just a bad joke on the part of the military. Each State (or National) Alchemist is given a name. When Edward passed the qualification tests, he was awarded the title of Full Metal Alchemist, because of his Auto-Mail limbs.

Also, it isn't equivilent exchange! It's equivilent trade! TRADE! *weeps*

At least they didn't call the Philosopher's Stone the Sorceror's Stone. >>;;;

For those who have seen the anime in full, who's your favorite character? I'm stuck between Roy and Hughes.

Warning: Big spoiler below! Do not read if you haven't seen the series yet!

Poor Hughes...his death almost made me cry... And when his daughter was asking why they were burying daddy.. *sniff* That really pulled on the old heart-strings...

[Edit: Added warning, as that takes place later in the series and might ruin it for people who weren't expecting it... --Krang]
Schoolie 11-07-2004 10:52 PM
I'll admit it really didn't "wow" me yet, but it was good - I agree with the Trigun analogy - starting out light-hearted and episodic, then getting deeper and more serious.

I don't mind Al's kid voice - it reminds us that there's really a kid "inside" that armor.

We'll see . . . . Looking forward to more. I'm glad CN is still bringing in some new anime.
Shredder 11-07-2004 10:57 PM
I was referring to the same character you mention in spoilers in my Eugene comparison, I'm just trying to keep things general because the vast majority of people here haven't seen any of the show.

Favorite characters? Hmm...there's so many good ones, I can't pick just one, so it's more like a list: Ed, Al, Mustang, Hawkeye, Hughes, Armstrong, and Izumi.

As mentioned earlier, I also far prefer the Japanese voices- there's definately a lot more emotion and "power" in the original performance. But, I think the script is pretty close for those who haven't seen the subbed version yet, a definate plus considering the types of liberties Funi usually takes with dialogue.
evanASF27 11-08-2004 12:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
As mentioned earlier, I also far prefer the Japanese voices- there's definately a lot more emotion and "power" in the original performance.

Same goes for me with the Japanese voices in Big O. I mean their Roger and Alex did a GREAT job!!! (nothing like our whiney little brat of an Alex in the english one ~~#) ...Vera was above all done best in japanese because the english one's fake ancent was killing me very slowly and painfully -.-;;

Shredder and krang...I think we're all going to end up thanking you for introducing us to FMA Pleased ..so I'm gonna beat everyone else to it and say "THAAAANNNNKSSS!!!!!!!11oneoneoneeleven @_@" Big Grin
The Big Finale 11-08-2004 09:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27 - Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Shredder and krang...I think we're all going to end up thanking you for introducing us to FMA Pleased ..so I'm gonna beat everyone else to it and say "THAAAANNNNKSSS!!!!!!!11oneoneoneeleven @_@" Big Grin

*whistles*

quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale - Yesterday, 12:47 AM
Anyway, looks pretty good. I probably wouldn't of checked it out if our illustrious admins weren't so pysched about it. Thanks for introducing me to a reasonably entertaining anime!

Not quite EVERYONE... ^_^;;

Right now, though, I'm wondering what kind of show Fullmetal Alchemist will develop into. I know drama, that's to be sure, but what kind of drama? Is it just going to be about them battling other people who want the Philosopher's Stone, as well as various other villians that get in their way? Or are we going to get into some other kind of drama, like, say, government conspiracy? Something else altogether?
Asirt 11-08-2004 09:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
Right now, though, I'm wondering what kind of show Fullmetal Alchemist will develop into. I know drama, that's to be sure, but what kind of drama? Is it just going to be about them battling other people who want the Philosopher's Stone, as well as various other villians that get in their way? Or are we going to get into some other kind of drama, like, say, government conspiracy? Something else altogether?

Most likely, the Philosopher's Stone will become the main story. I suspect it will develop into a even bigger story as we get into the later episodes. But, I'll sure the people who have seen the entire series will be able to answer that question better.