Welcome

Krang 11-06-2004 01:26 AM
Welcome to Central City, a new section of the forums to cover Fullmetal Alchemist discussion. As you may or may not be aware, Fullmetal Alchemist begins airing on Adult Swim on November 6 at 11:00 PM Central (Nov. 7 12:00 AM Eastern) and re-airs November 11 at 11:30 PM Central (Nov. 12 12:30 AM Eastern). So what is Fullmetal Alchemist? Here's a quick plot summary from ANN:

quote:
After losing their mother, Alphonse and Edward Elric attempt to bring her back using the forbidden science of human alchemy. However, alchemy operates on the theory of equivalent trade, and breaking the human alchemy taboo carries a heavy price. Ed loses his leg, and Al loses his body. Ed is able to seal Al’s soul inside of a huge suit of armor, at the cost of his arm. Years later, Ed (now with two mechanical limbs) and Al (still trapped in the armor) leave their childhood home, each brother concerned with the other’s happiness. Ed, who has a natural talent and skill for alchemy, becomes nationally certified and is soon known everywhere as the "Fullmetal Alchemist." Their true objective is to search for any information on the fabled Philosopher’s Stone, hoping it will allow them to regain their old bodies. All of their hopes rest with this mythical stone, which may not even exist at all. However, the brothers soon learn that they are not the only ones after the powerful stone.

For more information and trailers, check out the official English site here. Shredder and I have seen the entire series already, and it has quickly become one of our favorites due to the great characters, exciting plot, and more.

Still, you may be wondering why we have a separate forum for FMA and not just a thread in the Ailesberry. This is because due to the mature and well-developed plot and to the elements of mystery in the series, we think it will most likely appeal to fans of Big O, and what better time to start a section for it than now? We hope that you'll give this show a chance and come back to discuss the new episodes every week as they air.
Asirt 11-06-2004 02:03 AM
After looking at the old thread at the Ailesberry Farm, I thought you were going to make a thread such as this. Shredder's post hinted that.

Anyway, I haven't heard of this series yet. I am looking forward to seeing this very soon. It sounds like a great series!

I'm wondering, though. How many episodes are there in this series?
Zopwx2 11-06-2004 02:05 AM
I guess I'll watch it and see what its about.
Shredder 11-06-2004 02:06 AM
Thanks, Krang. We've been thinking over the decision to expand the site for awhile now and now does seem like the perfect time, since another show we both love is airing on Cartoon Network and everyone who saw Big O there will be able to enjoy FMA as well. We've also been noticing the increasing decline in interest in the Smith Mansion and Big O in general for some time and hope that giving everyone the opportunity to get into a fresh, new show will give the forums a jumpstart. Of course, we'll always be Big O fans, but with no word in sight about a 3rd season (and we'll be here when/if there is one!), we think the site could use something new in the meantime. As Krang said, I agree that this one really will appeal to fans of Big O. It's a smart, intriguing, even funny show that's heavy on action and drama. Enjoy!
Krang 11-06-2004 02:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
PS. I'm wondering. How many episodes are there in this series? If I do start to like it, then I might consider buying the DVD's in the future...

There are 51 episodes in the series. There were originally going to be only 3 episodes per disc, but that was changed to 4 for a total of 13 discs.
Shredder 11-06-2004 02:12 AM
Definately give this one a chance. It just keeps getting better. Also, I've heard that the script is supposed to be close to the original, and while I'm not sure about the dub voices or acting, I think it will be all right.
Wingnut 11-06-2004 02:17 AM
Excellent. I am looking foward to this series. It is amazeing that it was dubbed so quickly and transfered over here, as it ended its run in Japan only a month or so ago, with the new Gundam SEED: Destiny takeing its place.
I wonder how it will be before someone will try to make a Big Alchemist or something like that in the MFL? A Megadeus with powers of Alchemy.

Edit: Why the name Central City though? Is there a place by the same name in FMA?
The Big Finale 11-06-2004 02:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
I wonder how it will be before someone will try to make a Big Alchemist or something like that in the MFL? A Megadeus with powers of Alchemy.

Thank you very much. Now I have even more reason to be sure to catch it. Gotta get some attack and defenses ideas...
nathjan 11-06-2004 02:23 AM
I can't wait for this series and Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex to start on adult swim. its going to rock.
Krang 11-06-2004 02:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Edit: Why the name Central City though? Is there a place by the same name in FMA?

Yep, that's one of the major cities in the series, and the city where
spoiler (highlight to read):
Ed takes the State Alchemist exam
(although that's not much of a spoiler since it's hinted toward in episode 2).
R.Smith 11-06-2004 02:26 AM
This does seem to be a nice anime, I've seen large displays of that robot/armor looking thing in photos of conventions in Japan.

Ah, here we go, did a quick search on www.google.jp with the kanji that was on that ANN site:

Shredder 11-06-2004 02:38 AM
Cool- those look life-sized! That's Al- you'll definately be seeing a lot of him!
R.Smith 11-06-2004 02:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Cool- those look life-sized! That's Al- you'll definately be seeing a lot of him!

Al, eh? Ok, well I found another image, it is pretty big:

This person seems to be building a Al costume(in japanese):
http://page.freett.com/darkknight/aru/aru.htm

Various other costumes of mecha? here:
http://page.freett.com/darkknight/
Kittie heavenly6 11-06-2004 03:00 AM
Alot of my friends have been telling me how great this series is, but I've yet to see it. (Never got me VCDs those bastards.)

So even though I swore off the CN (Literally. I yelled Cusswords at it.) Im going to try and catch this tomorrow. (er. provided I still have cable... lmao)
R.Smith 11-06-2004 03:05 AM
Hey, Krang & Shredder, did you guys know about the Playstation 2/Gameboy Advance games?

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/hagaren/game/index.html

I'll see if I can find anymore information if you want. Big Grin
Kittie heavenly6 11-06-2004 03:26 AM
The Game is coming out in the US Soon.
AndroidZeroX 11-06-2004 08:36 AM
Well i know ill be watching...i wont miss this, like i did read or die!
Asirt 11-06-2004 10:21 AM
Those are some nice finds, R.Smith! The only thing that I have of FMA is the soundtrack. It's really good, and I like the main theme, "Melissa".
evanASF27 11-06-2004 11:10 AM
hmm...when I saw this section my first thought was "NOO!!!!! OUR BIG O FORUMS ARE NOW NOT FOCUSED ON BIG O @_@!" ...but then I realized that not much has happened with Big O, so I guess another series might not hurt.

I'll watch the first episode and see what happens...though I'm still keeping Lupin, Trigun, and Big O in my top three Tongue
Krang 11-06-2004 12:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
Hey, Krang & Shredder, did you guys know about the Playstation 2/Gameboy Advance games?

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/Animation/hagaren/game/index.html

I'll see if I can find anymore information if you want. Big Grin

Yep, I've heard of the games, although I haven't had a chance to play them yet...

quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
hmm...when I saw this section my first thought was "NOO!!!!! OUR BIG O FORUMS ARE NOW NOT FOCUSED ON BIG O @_@!" ...but then I realized that not much has happened with Big O, so I guess another series might not hurt.

Considering the fact that most of the discussion now takes place in the general and anime sections, the forums are not really focused on Big O anymore anyway. Tongue

But I'm glad to see that alot of you are willing to give this series a try. You won't be disappointed! Smile