[Comment] More of a Signature Complaint

X Prime 11-01-2004 09:40 PM
(I asked FP before I posted this if I could.)

Look. I'm getting really, really tired of this ladies and gentlemen. Since the awards, I've noticed a slight increase of horizontally oversized sigs appearing on prominent members, some award winners. This is in defiance of I think rule 9, which states:

quote:
The total size of all images and text in your signature should be no more than 250 pixels high and 550 pixels wide. Also, no single picture in your signature should be more than 50KB in file size.

Emphasis mine, as I don't really care about the rest of it, since you're SUPPOSED to scroll vertically on webpages anyhow.

I'm just thinking it is REALLY idiotic that some prominent members continue to do this despite this rule. I am visually impaired and thus confine myself to 800x600 resolution so I can actually read with minimal deformity of webpages. On a forum and site that is clearly designed in order to accomodate said users of said resolution, I think I can complain when I have to actually waste time asking people to follow the rules, especially if they post a lot and thus consistently stretch the page horizontally. (I also think I can complain when one of these rulebreakers who shall be unnamed acts like an ass when I ask him to shrink it.)

Do you people MIND reading the signature rule? I mean SHEESH.
evanASF27 11-01-2004 09:50 PM
yah I told you I was going to change it later tonight. You can't wait till then eh?

And having an award in your sig was okay last I remember.
X Prime 11-01-2004 09:52 PM
I'm not interested in arguing with you, but what you DID say was that you would change it 'to whatever size I want changed to' (The I being Evan).
evanASF27 11-01-2004 09:57 PM
yes meaning I ain't havin something that's so incredibly small noone can read the font (like what ended up happenin last time). I'm going to keep it big enough to actually read.
X Prime 11-01-2004 09:58 PM
Sounded awfully provocative... But whatever, as long as it doesn't kill 800x600 screens.

BTW, this topic wasn't made just for you, you're not the only one.
Krang 11-01-2004 10:21 PM
I agree, I've seen this rule broken too often, and I might have to start editing sigs if it continues. My sig pic is exactly 550 pixels wide, so if anyone needs a guideline, you can use my sig. The height is not as important, but please make sure it's not too far over the limit. Also, the file size doesn't matter as much (since I'm thinking of increasing the 50KB limit in the rules anyway), but again, please make sure it's not excessive.
Benjamin 11-02-2004 08:03 PM
Krang a question *or two ^^;*

But I am seeing legnths that are huge and heights huge...
I am hearing many different things, what is the OFFICAL SIZE GOING TO BE?
Asirt 11-02-2004 08:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Benjamin
But I am seeing legnths that are huge and heights huge...
I am hearing many different things, what is the OFFICAL SIZE GOING TO BE?

For avatars, they will remain the same as always: 100x100 pixels. For the mods and admin however, they can get bigger avatars. The max size for them is 150x125 pixels.

The official max size for sig images is 550x250 pixels. It's always been like that for a while. Krang did say in the previous post that he may increase the file size limit, though.
X Prime 11-02-2004 08:13 PM
The mods and admins can get taller avatars.
The Fallen Phoenix 11-02-2004 08:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Trisa
For the mods and admin, however, they can get bigger avatars... Max size is believed to be 150x150 pixels, but that is uncertain.

It's 150x125, if anybody really cares...
Travis Bickle 04-30-2005 09:29 PM
Time to bring up an old topic...

Rule 10:
quote:
The total size of all images and text in your signature should be no more than 250 pixels high and 550 pixels wide. Also, no single picture in your signature should be more than 50KB in file size.

Emphasis mine.

It just seems that some people's sigs are about 10 times the size of their posts, which is annoying as hell. And, to top it off, nobody bothers to look at rule 10 when creating a sig, so...yeah.

I got yelled at for telling a member to fix their sig a few months ago, so I thought it would be an idea to just address the issue and see what the admins/mods/supermod has to say about, and see if they will enforce it or not.

-Scott
Krang 05-01-2005 12:32 AM
If anyone notices a sig that is too large, go ahead and report it to a mod or admin and we'll take care of it. Keep in mind, though, that signatures that are a little over the limit are ok (for example, a sig that is 275px tall would be fine since it's close to the limit). But if you notice one that's excessively large (for example, 400px tall), then yes, it would need to be changed.
X Prime 05-01-2005 12:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
I got yelled at for telling a member to fix their sig a few months ago, so I thought it would be an idea to just address the issue and see what the admins/mods/supermod has to say about, and see if they will enforce it or not.

-Scott

Simply report such a thing to the admins... Since honestly, the kind of attitude you just described is beyond annoying.
Travis Bickle 05-01-2005 01:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
If anyone notices a sig that is too large, go ahead and report it to a mod or admin and we'll take care of it. Keep in mind, though, that signatures that are a little over the limit are ok (for example, a sig that is 275px tall would be fine since it's close to the limit). But if you notice one that's excessively large (for example, 400px tall), then yes, it would need to be changed.

Will do. Thanks!

(rolls out scroll)
A Clockwork Tomato 05-02-2005 11:24 PM
Given the choice, I'd rather put up with oversized signatures than all the bitching and moaning about them.

Maybe we should have a rule against complaining about rules violations in postings. Narking on other members should be done in a PM to a moderator, not in a public denunciation. Gentle reminders to the members should also be done privately.
Travis Bickle 05-02-2005 11:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
Given the choice, I'd rather put up with oversized signatures than all the bitching and moaning about them.

Maybe we should have a rule against complaining about rules violations in postings. Narking on other members should be done in a PM to a moderator, not in a public denunciation. Gentle reminders to the members should also be done privately.

Well, I happened to accidentally stumble across this thread because according to Who Is Where Online, a spider was looking at it in the archives. So, I looked at it and decided to put in my two cents. It not only addresses the issue to the Admins, but it also serves as a reminder of sorts of the rule to those creating sigs (a double whammy, if I may).

And thank you, A Clockwork Tomato, for indirectly insulting me. I look foward to doing the same to you in the future Smile
X Prime 05-02-2005 11:57 PM
I concur with Taxt here. Hell, I was prompted to make this thread due to the kinds of responses I got from PMing some members with oversized sigs. I find public commentary a great way to get people to actually shrink the signatures.
evanASF27 05-03-2005 12:54 AM
...more like annoying us...nothin to pride on, X Prime. Oh Well

But that's the past...I too have noticed a few signatures that seem a big too large for comfort around here, but mainly only due to really big pictures in them. I don't have much problem with sigs that have text. And I think the forum now has safeguards with the picture width...so there are only a few sigs to worry about nowadays.
Travis Bickle 05-03-2005 01:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by evanASF27
...more like annoying us...nothin to pride on, X Prime. Oh Well

Speaking of publicly addressing things:

Why is it you must follow X Prime after every statment he makes and respond negatively? Why must you constantly critique him? I really do suggest you stop it, because it gets tedious and annoying, and you don't really get anything out of it but a negative reputation. It really is a shame that you can't just leave him be.

Anyway, this thread's purpose was just meant to be a reminder and a suggestion, and has thus been served. Nothing more, nothing less.
Captain Maw 05-03-2005 01:22 AM
uhhh....how do i say this....
just one question: is my sig too big?