[Other] See You Space Cowboy

Jane 10-31-2004 10:45 PM
Go here for happy ear candy. It's my own personal English version of "See You Space Cowboy":

Listen

I think I might try to record it again later and see if I like it better. Anyway...
Enjoy! (and let me know if the link doesn't work)
Piano Black 10-31-2004 11:39 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna kidnap you now. Your vocals are too good.

marry.me.NOW
Zopwx2 10-31-2004 11:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jane
Go here for happy ear candy. It's my own personal English version of "See You Space Cowboy":

Listen

I think I might try to record it again later and see if I like it better. Anyway...
Enjoy! (and let me know if the link doesn't work)

Awesome!

Travis Bickle 10-31-2004 11:59 PM
That...was awesome. You have the voice of an angel, or even Angel herself. Hell, you sound better than Mai Yamane herself.

You also did a fantastic job transposing the song and translating it to an acoustic guitar.

That's on repeat on ITunes now for me. Expect a sh**load of otakus in my dorm to listen to it through the LAN. Good job, Jane.
Wingnut 11-01-2004 05:10 AM
Shocked Wow. That was amazeing. Cerpin Taxt does not exagurate Definately a keeper.
M.S. Feather 11-01-2004 06:32 AM
That was beautiful.
I agree with Piano Black and Cerpin Taxt, you have a lovely voice.
Nice guitar work too. ^_^
Pygmalion 11-01-2004 06:59 AM
I like your version of this song. More, please!

Pygmalion
Tifaria 11-01-2004 08:28 AM
Wow, you have a gorgeous voice! I've always thought this song was so sad, and the way you sing really gets that across.. you have a very emotional voice. I love the acoustic guitar, too. I think I'll have this one on repeat for a while. Smile ) I'd love to hear more from you!
Zola 11-01-2004 09:02 AM
I enjoyed this, Jane. Nice job Smile
Delta 11-01-2004 10:04 AM
Very wonderful! My only complaint is that the guitar sometimes drowned out the vocals. ^^; Otherwise, very, very well done!
Madrona 11-01-2004 10:25 AM
WOW! I like it! Your voice is great. Thanks for performing for us.

Madrona
dominusofdeath 11-01-2004 04:54 PM
I'm utterly speechless. I swear to god. That friggin rocked so hard I don't think I'll ever listen to that song the same way again!
Jane 11-01-2004 09:03 PM
Thanks everybody! You're making me blush Pleased

Later tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to try and record it again with better balance between the vocals and the guitar.

P.S. Thanks for not mocking my mad guitar skills Tongue
Asirt 11-01-2004 09:13 PM
Wow. I'm surprised I didn't download this version earlier. Big Grin Anyway, you have a nice voice, and the translation is very good. The only problem is that sometimes it's hard to hear some of the words (although you are recording it again to fix that). Other than that, it's pretty nice. Well done. Smile
BethMcBeth 11-01-2004 09:45 PM
WOW!! Thats awsome! I am not good at singing and your voice is sooo pretty too!! Kick awsome job!1 Keep on singing!
Jane 11-03-2004 09:37 AM
Take Two

I think I got the balance a little better this time. Of course, I'm a little sick, and now, if you listen very carefully, you can hear me sniffling.
Piano Black 11-03-2004 10:59 AM
quote:
Take Two

I think I got the balance a little better this time. Of course, I'm a little sick, and now, if you listen very carefully, you can hear me sniffling.

Oh.my.god. It's like my ears just won the lotto. Big Grin
Zola 11-03-2004 11:37 AM
This is really nice, Jane.

Even if you don't have any programs for sound, there is a lot you can do to give yourself more control over the mixing.

Try recording the guitar by itself to start. Once you have a good take that you are happy with, you can use the tools in Windows Sound Recorder to trim any silence so that the guitar starts right up on cue.

Once you have this part to your satisfaction, get your headphones on and turn off your speakers. Run your guitar part and sing along, recording from your un-muted mic. Since you are recording on the mic and you have headphones, you'll get a recording of only your voice. If you have trouble working with the headphones at first, just slip one side off your ears so you can hear yourself.

Again, trim the wav file to your satisfaction. Make a backup of both clips, and start playing with the normalize feature. This will permit you to change the level of the clips, to bring down the guitar and bring up the voice.

Once you think you have it, use "mix paste" to blend the two together. The matching shouldn't be too hard if you've trimmed both clips.

This will help you control your levels a LOT better Smile

If you want to take the time to do it, just make the two wavs and mail me. You can send them to me and I'll clean them up, add a few effects, and mix them down for you with my audio tools. It will be fun and you won't believe how good you sound. Big Grin

EDIT: Oops, a couple of things if you want to try this. #1: converting to an mp3 is fine. #2 In this case, don't trim the clip, make sure there is at least three seconds (and five is better) of silence before the music begins. The reason for this is because then I can get a profile of the noise that is inherent in your computer and make it go away. Wink
Travis Bickle 11-03-2004 03:24 PM
quote:
Take Two

I like this second take just a little bit better. However, it is still up there with the original (if not surpassing it). Exceellent job, Jane.
Asirt 11-03-2004 05:17 PM
The second is a bit better. I can't hear you sniffing, so that must be a good thing. Smile However, I notice a bit more distortion in your voice than with the first one. Other than that, nice job overall.