The Offical Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/SAC: 2nd Gig Thread!

Green_Bird 11-14-2004 12:02 AM
I know C.R. alredy menchened the getting out part....more senceless butt shots and fan service for the guys....But that was to be exspected.....But tonight's episode was quite good none the less....

I just think he wanted to see his parents....not really 'kill' them. Given what Matoko said....But then again.....it could have been used in a diffrent context as a last comment before he killed them kind of thing. But I really don't think that was the case.....
Raven 11-14-2004 12:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
I know C.R. alredy menchened the getting out part....more senceless butt shots and fan service for the guys....But that was to be exspected.....But tonight's episode was quite good none the less....

I just think he wanted to see his parents....not really 'kill' them. Given what Matoko said....But then again.....it could have been used in a diffrent context as a last comment before he killed them kind of thing. But I really don't think that was the case.....

I actually found tonights episode somewhat boring. I laughed when I saw the "getting out of the tank" part but that was about it.
Wingnut 11-14-2004 09:07 AM
I think the point of the episode was to illistrate the conflicts of the transfer of a persons mind from flesh to a machine. In one universe said conflict lead to 4000 years of total war and destroyed a galaxy in the process.
Although despite any slowness of the episode it was still a good one, no ifs ands or "butts" about it. Wink
Sharpshooter005 11-14-2004 09:43 PM
Damn, and I have to wait untill thursday for this..
BabyGhia 11-14-2004 11:31 PM
Interesting episode. I really liked it. I find myself laughing at the guy's fanservice. They just had to give us that angle and that shot. Laughing Glad that you liked that, Foxhound! Wink

BabyGhia
Mr. Fortnight 11-15-2004 01:21 AM
On a side note, something made sense on Ep 2.

Namely Section 9's tanks. (Please tell me their name, I'd like to know.)

You see, it looks like those tanks, when not being controlled by a pilot, have a rather child-like AI. Perfect for gaining trust with citizenry when needing to move them out of the way, don't you think?

After all, which would you rather trust? One that sounds like ED-209, or one that sounds and acts like a little child?
BigPrime 11-15-2004 12:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
On a side note, something made sense on Ep 2.

Namely Section 9's tanks. (Please tell me their name, I'd like to know.)

You see, it looks like those tanks, when not being controlled by a pilot, have a rather child-like AI. Perfect for gaining trust with citizenry when needing to move them out of the way, don't you think?

After all, which would you rather trust? One that sounds like ED-209, or one that sounds and acts like a little child?

They're called Tachikomas.
Mr. Fortnight 11-15-2004 07:40 PM
Tachikomas... Thanks. I've been having a hard time remembering that.
Schoolie 11-15-2004 10:10 PM
Good observation, Ensign Minneapolis - the child-like voices on those machines really did add a lot to their design - coming from the frame of a mini-battle-tank.

I liked this episode - I wondered about the true motives of the son whose "brain" was controlling the test tank thing. They almost could have made it even more dramatic and heart-string-pulling.

In one way, this show reminds me of Witch Hunter Robin - I'm still trying to get to know all the characters (even more in the "squad" than in WHR). Plus, they have these mostly stand alone episodes that set up the setting and characters.

And I'll say it again - that theme song is a neat mix of techno/angelic voices. Comparing this stuff to Yoko Kanno's work on Cowboy Bebop and Wolf's Rain, man is she a maestro!
Mr. Fortnight 11-16-2004 12:48 AM
Yes, I'm thoroughly impressed by the series. Although the use of computer generated models in a 2D animation is still sort of glaring in transition.

Even though the computer cel work for the 2D art is VERY well done.

And is it just me, or does the CGI opening to the series sort of make you say "I wish the actual show was like this"?
Schoolie 11-18-2004 08:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
And is it just me, or does the CGI opening to the series sort of make you say "I wish the actual show was like this"?

Yeah, I'm wondering why they did that, unless it was just to show off fancy CGI animation. The close similarities with the 2D animation is very well-done.
Zopwx2 11-19-2004 05:43 PM
Ok saw it on thrusday. Oh and the buttshot was hilarious.

Anyway I like this show alot so far. Its pretty fun even though this was a self contained episode it still held my attention.

The technology is really thought out too.

I also foress more conflicts with normal humans vs cybernetic humans.

Oh and thos mini tanks were so odd! Just because they have simple AI doesn't mean they have to sound like kids.
Green_Bird 11-21-2004 12:13 AM
Wow...that was a shock they left a naked android in there! Tonights was good....it turned out that the lines that the guy and the android were speeking to each other were from a movie. But still it was wierd, reading the manga, you would have thought it was the puppeteer or whatever. But it would be a little soon for that I guess.
COHugh 11-21-2004 12:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I've got a question:

Would I enjoy this series more if I had seen the GitS movies? Because I'm having a real hard time getting into it.

I love Full Metal Alchemsit thus far and GitS: SAC has some interesting points, but it just doesn't have a story that makes me want to keep watching. I hope this changes soon. It's kind of like Witch Hunter Robin... I never could get into it and I watched the whole series.
Green_Bird 11-21-2004 12:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by COHugh
I'm sorry, but I've got a question:

Would I enjoy this series more if I had seen the GitS movies? Because I'm having a real hard time getting into it.

I love Full Metal Alchemsit thus far and GitS: SAC has some interesting points, but it just doesn't have a story that makes me want to keep watching. I hope this changes soon. It's kind of like Witch Hunter Robin... I never could get into it and I watched the whole series.

Well...I haven't wached the movies. And...I get it. Well I have read the manga so that's maybe why. Oh well I'm one of the ones that liked WHR too so....that may have something to do with it Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Raven 11-21-2004 02:59 AM
quote:
Wow...that was a shock they left a naked android in there! Tonights was good....it turned out that the lines that the guy and the android were speeking to each other were from a movie. But still it was wierd, reading the manga, you would have thought it was the puppeteer or whatever. But it would be a little soon for that I guess.

Ueah I didn't quite understand that. Though I wasn't paying close attention throughout the entire show. What was with the movie lines and the extra part the robot added in?
IanC 11-21-2004 11:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by COHugh

I havent seen the movies and i think GiTS:SAC rocks Big Grin
If its just that you cant get in too it you may like the main storyline epsiodes, one of which will be next weeks IIRC
Green_Bird 11-21-2004 11:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
quote:

Ueah I didn't quite understand that. Though I wasn't paying close attention throughout the entire show. What was with the movie lines and the extra part the robot added in?

"I am not crazy.....yes I am.....I love you....I have always loved you."

Or something like that. I'm only sure about the crazy part.
Zopwx2 11-21-2004 01:56 PM
Well last nights episode wasn't as good as the one about the tank but it was certainly more psychological.

It shows how some people can become obsessive and deranged. I have no idea how badly humanoid androids will screw with people's emotions in the future.
COHugh 11-21-2004 05:06 PM
I understand what's going on, it's just kinda dull. Hopefully next week's episode will be better. Oh Well