[Question] Anti-Right Click

Benjamin 10-28-2004 09:01 PM
I was running across some images, shouldn't there be an ANTI Right Click?
Zola 10-28-2004 09:02 PM
I don't like it because it isn't selective--you can't just set it to pictures. If you want to right click a link to open it in a new window, it won't let you, or copy a portion of text for an innocent reason like wanting to do a further search on it.

If you could fix it so just the pics wouldn't get copied, that would be perfect.
Benjamin 10-28-2004 09:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zola
If you could fix it so just the pics wouldn't get copied, that would be perfect.

How could that be done?
Dude Love 10-28-2004 09:12 PM
Why are you so worried, Ben?
evanASF27 10-28-2004 09:18 PM
do you mean pictures that are on the forums (attached and/or in the IMG tags) or do you mean the ones on the main site?
R.Smith 10-28-2004 09:19 PM
Ben, if you’re worried about your avatars and other images being "stolen" even an "anti-right click" won't "protect" them; there are ways around a site that has disabled the right clicking option.
Asirt 10-28-2004 09:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
Ben, if you’re worried about your avatars and other images being "stolen" even an "anti-right click" won't "protect" them; there are ways around a site that has disabled the right clicking option.

That's true. Even if you disable the right-click, there are other ways to get pictures to your hard drive, like saving the web page along with its attachments, for instance.

Later,
Trisa
MTN889 10-28-2004 09:31 PM
Or dragging it to the start bar and so it shows the desktop, and putting on the screen.
Benjamin 10-28-2004 09:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith

HOW DID YOU KNOW MY NAME!?

Anyway *Laughs* Its not my avatar and signature I am worried about, its the other images *I take the ones in my signature and avatar too*
Stealing shouldn't occour... *but thats just me*
If they want them they can just ask...

spoiler (highlight to read):
BTW Smith, Sorry, MMod Didn't work as my avatar, my image host said it was tooooo big 0_0
Krang 10-28-2004 11:00 PM
Sorry, I have never bothered with right-click blocking scripts due to how useless they are. If you put an image on the internet, there's no real way to prevent people from saving it, and scripts like that cause more harm than good. If you're really protective of your images, put some distinctive text on there so that people know it's yours even if it's stolen (for example, the "PC" in the corner of our images). It's still possible for people to remove that, but it's usually not worth the trouble.
Prons 10-29-2004 05:34 PM
On PCF?

I don't see any real reason why.

Off topic Krang: It takes about five seconds to remove that PC logo, its not really much trouble...
Nightingale 10-29-2004 09:34 PM
99% of the images on the internet are not even copyrighted by the people/fans who put them up anyway, even if you are the one who scanned or screen capped it. They don't really belong to anybody but the person who published that work anyway, so I wouldn't stress about trying to stop people from right-clicking. If I see a pretty image that I want to save for fun and I can't right-click, I'll just hit the Print Screen button.
Dork 10-29-2004 10:48 PM
I strongly recent anti-right click. If someone really wants to 'steal' an image there are extremly easy ways to do so. And anti-right click also prevents people from saving an image to add to their personal collections.

And as far as plagerism goes- with images and written works- there's nothing you can do to prevent it. You just can't let yourself be worried about it or get too offended if someone plagerizes something you've done. I just feel sorry for plagerizers, they don't have a strong enough since of self to feel shame over getting praise for someone else's work.

muchlove
-dork
Krang 10-29-2004 11:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prons
Off topic Krang: It takes about five seconds to remove that PC logo, its not really much trouble...

I don't know why it was necessary for you to comment about this, but still that's not the point. The point is, in most cases it's easy for me to tell if the image has been edited to remove it, so it wouldn't be worth the "five seconds" (as you put it) in the first place since it's obvious that the image was stolen. Now let's please get back on topic instead of pointlessly nitpicking my suggestion.
Benjamin 10-30-2004 01:42 AM
Okay...I must say this thread has turned into spam...
Reasons * I got a few *

1. Krang already said NO!
2. I really stopped caring
3. The Poll Says No
4. This Is Just Short Pointless Repeative Posting

In My Oppinion This Thread Should be locked...

[Edit: No problem, done. --Krang]