Any recommended Manga/Anime??

StevieV019 09-05-2003 03:07 PM
Ok...Im still trying to find the cream of the crop when it comes to the manga and anime out there. Granted, everything wont be on par with the Triguns, Cowboy Bebops, Big Os and so forth....but Im hoping there's at least something out there that Im missing. Im familiar with a bunch of the stuff we've all talked about (Bebop, Trigun, Big O, Gundam, Hellsing, FLCL, etc.), but is there anything out there thats particularly good that hasnt been touched upon yet? Im trying to broaden my horizons and move on from the aforementioned series'...

Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc....
Kairi 09-05-2003 03:20 PM
Heat Guy J

Now, I haven't seen this anime for myself, but from what I've heard and read, it's supposed to be like the new kinda Bebop. No, it isn't a knock-off, or any sort of sequel to the show. What it is supposed to be is like a new standard setter for anime, much like Cowboy Bebop was back when it first hit the scene. It was even was produced by the same team who did Escaflowne, so you know. I really don't have much info, so check around the net and see what you can find.
StevieV019 09-05-2003 03:25 PM
I will have to do that, Ive heard of that as well with Heat Guy J, the problem is, I get the feeling its getting the same treatment Hellsing got (with marketing and hype and so forth), and I was bitterly diappointed with that series, so Ill have to keep a watch on Heat Guy J...btw...how was Escaflowne? Ive heard its geared more to a female audience (pardon the comment, but thats what Ive *HONESTLY* heard...). I know the animation is pretty crisp, but how is the story and so forth?
Manji 09-05-2003 03:52 PM
Blade of the Immortal

-Manji, a ronin warrior of feudal Japan, has been cursed with immortality. To rid himself of this curse, regain his mortality, and end his life of misery, Manji must slay one thousand evil men.

Thats from the back of the book, my summary--

Its about a great swordsman, named Manji, he has these things called 'Sacred Bloodworms' in him, they keep him from dieing. He is enlisted as a body gaurd, who is searching for revenge against those who slayed her father before her eyes. Manji protects her, and in return, in four years... never mindEmbarrassed Sweatdrop ........ Its a great Manga, fairly gory, but everyone I know who read it liked it.

The first book is 'Blood of a Thousand' (The series is bad about telling you what order to read them in...) I'm not sure how many there are but I've read about 5...
Kittie heavenly6 09-05-2003 03:59 PM
You are coming to the right guy here for that...

Ranma 1/2, Battle Angel Alita, Gunsmith Cats, Maico 2010(if you are over 18) FutabaKun Change, Card Captor Sakura, Hana Yori Dango (Im almost positive that's out over here now) .Hack, Video Girl Ai...

Let me know if you need more.
StevieV019 09-05-2003 04:03 PM
I think Ive heard of Blade of the Immortal...but I may be confusing it with Lone Wolf and Cub...any connection? I dunno....there's a Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin manga, right? Funny...I have yet to see it...

Ill have to look at the other stuff as well...
Blue Crow 09-05-2003 04:03 PM
I'll tell anyone to check out Mitsuru Adachi's "Short Program".This manga is truely amazing.Although,it doesn't have much action.I gaurantee you'll love it.Here's a place where you can buy it:

http://store.viz.com/browse/SHORTPROGRAM/GRNOV/s.RqE6CUxA

I also like the Love Hina manga.It's very well drawn and cleverly paced. Pleased

And in terms of anime,I have only one thing to say:Burn Up W. Wink
Kittie heavenly6 09-05-2003 04:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
I think Ive heard of Blade of the Immortal...but I may be confusing it with Lone Wolf and Cub...any connection? I dunno....there's a Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin manga, right? Funny...I have yet to see it...

Ill have to look at the other stuff as well...

There is a Kenshin Manga, but I don't think it's been released in the States yet.

I also recomend Bastard!!! I am pretty sure you can get that over here.
Manji 09-05-2003 04:43 PM
Defintaly read Akira, if you havent seen the anime, read the manga first, and if you have seen the anime... read the manga anyway Big Grin
GoGoArlo 09-05-2003 05:07 PM
well im currently into Mazinkaiser right now. Its a pretty cool show it's sort of a remake of the classic Mazinger Z cartoon but uh cooler. So if you like really big robots beatin the crap out of each other (its so much more then that though) and are a fan of the old school Mazinkaiser is right up your ally. plus it was only a seven episode OAV (a movie was made too) so you dont have to worry about having to shell out alot of bucks to get the whole series. I think Mazinkaiser is the bee's knees, but dont take my word for it! ( cue reading rainbow music)
evanASF27 09-05-2003 06:08 PM
If you want some good anime stay up for Trigun Big Grin I love the show....it's very actionpacked Wink adn..err...silly
Lone bebop 09-05-2003 07:16 PM
I would say for some good manga, check out Naruto, and Shaman King, there are in Shonen Jump but there own manga is comeing out as well, Naruto has a nice blend of Fighting and comedy and the battles are reallty when done and the stroy is also top notch. Same goes with Shaman King, good amounts of action, comdey and story and the characters in both of these manga
Lady Tesser 09-05-2003 07:41 PM
Do you want new stuff or old school? I'm the old school type, so I reccommend these -

Anything from the Leiji Matsumoto universe (Yamato, Harlock, Emeraldas, Galaxy Express, etc)

Rumiko Takahashi's work (Ranma, Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura, etc)

Robot Carnival - if you like 'Fantasia' and anthologies done arty ... check out the last piece entitled Nightmare - Shinjuko's version of 'Night on Bald Mountain'!

The Project A-Ko OAV's - spot the in-jokes, if you dare!

Slayers, both series and OAV's - the best in magic-used-as-nuclear-attacks! (And the OAV's with Naga are hilarious.)

Sorcerer Hunters - good for larfs; I love Tira, she's me with pink hair and animated (although I'm less apt to use whips).

Bubblegum Crisis - original BGC, appraoch the 2040 version with caution. Nothing like having a redheaded Nene drunk off her duff and tabletop dancing ...

I repeat GK's suggestion of Gunsmith Cats - no chance of romance interrupting the story, mainly because the lead guy is a scruffy pain-in-the-ass. And Rally is the Queen.

Excel Saga ... laws of logic do not apply here. If you're able to sit through Excel's super-hyper monologues, then you might like it. No danger of being taken seriously.

Zeiram - personal favorite. Features the characters of Iria and Zeiram from the live action movie starring Yuko Moriyama. (Yay - Yuko!) Just as much of a psychological horror piece as well as monster-gore piece. Check out the vehicle designs - unreal.

On Escaflowne - yes, it is geared more toward a female audience, but don't let it scare you off. The battles are superb and the bad guys can get downright horrifying (watch out for Delandau - s/he's a sick smegger). It's told from the point of view of a teenage girl, that's why it's more shoujo in nature. (Of course, the original, not that piece of flaming camel dung they chopped up and never finished on WB.)
Nturtle 09-05-2003 09:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1

There is a Kenshin Manga, but I don't think it's been released in the States yet.

I hear its coming out in October/November from Viz. I've read some of the scanalations, its a great manga, but in someways the anime is actually better because it is clearer in a visual sense...
David F 09-05-2003 10:38 PM
Could you make this anymore easy for me? Wink

Serial Experiments Lain – Ok this isn’t your “sit down eat popcorn while I watch this” anime series, if you really want to understand this you really need to think and focus on it. The story is very complex but the show is catered to the more intelligent viewer that wants some intellectual stimulation. This isn’t going to be for everyone but at least watch the first episode and try it out.

Boogie Pop Phantom – Very much like Lain in terms of intellectual stimulation, the only difference is each episode works like a puzzle piece. You are introduced to characters in each episode jumping from one thing to another and if you don’t retain any information on the past episodes you’ll end up confused. That’s why if you choose to watch this to the end you’ll need to really watch the whole thing with out any other anime inbetween.

Akira – It’s a classic, must watch anime. This is not an anime this is THE anime, granted it’s not on par with its manga counter part but it translates well into the big screen. Every anime fan has to watch this at least once.

Ghost in the Shell (The Movie) – Another classic, which has been around for a while. A very beautiful done anime with awe inspiring visuals and an equally captivating storyline. Another must watch.

Ninja Scroll – I thought I might change the pace a little, up to now I’ve only suggested thought proving animes but now I though I’d spice it up with some good old fashion feudal Japan action. Ninja Scroll was awarded in the Japanese film festival and for good reason; because this film defined the genre it was in. Regardless if this was a recent film (only a few years old) it touched the dark aura that enveloped Japan during its darker eras. Yes this has some fantasy elements but not enough to sway you from admiring the reality of the dark times.

Princess Mononoke – Stunning visuals and an awesome storyline doesn’t do this anime any justice, this is by far one of the if not THE best anime films to have come out in recent years. Watch it period.
Dante 09-05-2003 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Manji
Blade of the Immortal

-Manji, a ronin warrior of feudal Japan, has been cursed with immortality. To rid himself of this curse, regain his mortality, and end his life of misery, Manji must slay one thousand evil men.

Thats from the back of the book, my summary--

Its about a great swordsman, named Manji, he has these things called 'Sacred Bloodworms' in him, they keep him from dieing. He is enlisted as a body gaurd, who is searching for revenge against those who slayed her father before her eyes. Manji protects her, and in return, in four years... never mindEmbarrassed Sweatdrop ........ Its a great Manga, fairly gory, but everyone I know who read it liked it.

The first book is 'Blood of a Thousand' (The series is bad about telling you what order to read them in...) I'm not sure how many there are but I've read about 5...

I think Blade of the Immortal is on 14 now and its still going

as for good manga Berserk comes out in October

Hellsing comes out in November so does Trigun

and Battle Royale has to be my fav now(42 kids have to kill each other to get out of The Program alive. only 1 can survive if there are more than 1 alive when the time limit is up a small explsive attached to each of the students necks go's off and takes em all out)
Manji 09-05-2003 10:45 PM
Really!? They are translating the Hellsing Manga!? I'll be buying those as they come off the truck...
Dante 09-05-2003 11:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Manji
Really!? They are translating the Hellsing Manga!? I'll be buying those as they come off the truck...

they moved it to December damn anyway go here to see aboutHellsing

and as for cool anime watch Devilman( Akira Fudo must become a demon to fight demons that are slowley escaping there prisons of ice)

Amon the Apocalypse of DevilMan is one of my all time favorite animes right now

lots of gore and cursing

I heard P.E.T.A tried to protest the sale of Devilman over here too(at least when it came out) The did that to another of Go Nagai's animes too(Violence Jack) Big Grin
Manji 09-05-2003 11:13 PM
Woohoo! I can't wait!
dorothyrocks 09-06-2003 12:44 AM
I recommend:

Manga:
Vampire Game - it's just been released in the US, but, it's really good. It's about a vampire reincarnated as a cat, who had vowed to get revenge on the reincarnation of the king that killed him...

Anime:
Martian Successor Nadesico - I've only seen the first 4 episodes, but it's pretty cool. It's about a pilot, Akito, and a mostly female crew pretty much, and his issues with actually piloting and battling the Jupiterians, or whatever they're called.

BTW, in May, some girls at my bus stop were talking about a Kenshin manga, but it was really small and about $6.00.