Any recommended Manga/Anime??

Sixfortyfive 09-06-2003 12:53 AM
Battle Royale

Good stuff, for fans of the movie and newcomers alike.
Lady Tesser 09-06-2003 08:36 AM
I've thought of a few more -

Vampire Hunter D - both original and Bloodlust. Supernatural guys in dark cloaks and big hats are ALWAYS cool (like The Shadow).

Vampire Princess Miyu - if you like dark storytelling and fabulous artwork, this is the one. Not geared for girls or guys, per se, it just has it's own style that appeals to psychological horror buffs (they remind me A LOT of 'The Twisted Tales of Bruce Jones' comics).
mAc Chaos 09-06-2003 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sixfortyfive
Battle Royale

Good stuff, for fans of the movie and newcomers alike.

Oh man, I thought it was literally a battle-royal, before I clicked the link, perhaps between various anime characters... Aw.
Kittie heavenly6 09-06-2003 02:25 PM
lol, no it's more violent than that.
Blue Crow 09-06-2003 02:36 PM
Another anime:Burn Up Excess.Not as good as Burn Up W,but still very very good.Very humorous.Along with big fake boobs. Pleased
StevieV019 09-09-2003 02:58 PM
Wow...thanks for the suggestions...a quick touch on everbody's suggestions....

I loved Vampire Hunter D and Bloodlust, as well as Blood the Last Vampire as well (kinda hit the whole vampire genre there), Ill have to check out Vampire Game though...

Akira was cool...after seeing it redone and rereleased, Im leery of picking up the manga for fear of losing the obvious visual appeal it had when redone...but that could change...

Seen Ghost in the Shell as well, interesting story, wonderful visuals...

Ive been interested in Battle Royale for a little bit, havent seen any of it, but have heard of the movie, the novel and the graphic novel, at this point, debating whether to get the actual novel first...who knows...

Boogiepop Phantom and Bubblegum Crisis alwasy confuse me...must be the names...havent read or seen either, but they probably have nothing to do with one another other than interesting names and 2 worded titles....

Trigun has been a difficult anime to get into for me...dunno why, it just seems too wacky, and I think I was expecting more seriousness to it than what I got (I only saw the first 6 episodes though....)

(sorry if I didnt touch on everybody's suggestions...but I do appreciate them...)

Please post any other suggestions, this definitely gives me some ideas for new stuff for me...
barkworm 09-09-2003 05:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nturtle
quote:
Originally posted by GK Version 1

There is a Kenshin Manga, but I don't think it's been released in the States yet.

I hear its coming out in October/November from Viz. I've read some of the scanalations, its a great manga, but in someways the anime is actually better because it is clearer in a visual sense...

That's right but there's a biiiiiiiiiiiiig problem with the Anime: It follows the Manga just until Vol.18 (of 28!) then it goes into fillers till the end which means from episode 62 or 63 on the Anime is only about non-Manga storys.
Schwarzwald 09-09-2003 05:18 PM
Roccomend the anime "Excel Saga"(reccomended to me by prince tesser)

there is also a manga(the anime was based on it)... but i havn't read it...

the anime is REALLY funny... look on how they start each episode... i think the manga is more on action then comedy...
Blue Crow 09-09-2003 05:56 PM
I strongly recommend Hellsing.I like it a lot. Pleased Vampires,guns,and cool animation.Could you ask for a better formula? Pleased

I,too,suggest Excel Saga.It is quite funny.It's what I would call the anti-anime. Pleased
StevieV019 09-10-2003 07:16 AM
Ive seen Hellsing...very disappointed with it...it kinda led me to start this thread, I picked up the new series (for the US at least) "Noir" and the tv series version of "X" but I was looking for other stuff too....

needless to say, I wasnt satisfied with Hellsing....
Kite 09-14-2003 05:26 PM
Yeah Angel Sanctuary or Sonic X. Those are cool. :9
Nturtle 09-14-2003 08:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by barkworm

That's right but there's a biiiiiiiiiiiiig problem with the Anime: It follows the Manga just until Vol.18 (of 28!) then it goes into fillers till the end which means from episode 62 or 63 on the Anime is only about non-Manga storys.

Yeah, which is why I suggest everybody who wants to see the revenge arc animated sign this petition!! http://petitiononline.com/jinchuu/
kidistight 09-15-2003 09:00 AM
Kenshin is out, it used to come on Cartoon Network, at 6, but I guess it stopped geting good ratings, so they moved it to saturdays, but I think now they have already taken it off the air. They bought a limited supply of the show, and kept re-airing the episodes, so I just decided to stop watching and and download them. Great show, except it could be better if he actually killed the people, instead of sparing there measly lives.
barkworm 09-15-2003 04:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nturtle
quote:
Originally posted by barkworm

Yeah, which is why I suggest everybody who wants to see the revenge arc animated sign this petition!! http://petitiononline.com/jinchuu/

I think there is zero chance that this is going to happen since the show was cancelled due to bad ratings in Japan.
StevieV019 09-16-2003 09:47 AM
I heard Kenshin did well in Japan...wow...interesting...I actually got the Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal DVD over the weekend (the prequel to the series)...and really enjoyed it...I enjoyed the tv show, but I saw that CN only had a limited amount of episodes....I didnt see that they were showing it on Saturdays...or that they had taken it off the air...
barkworm 09-17-2003 03:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
I heard Kenshin did well in Japan...wow...interesting...I actually got the Samurai X:Trust and Betrayal DVD over the weekend (the prequel to the series)...and really enjoyed it...I enjoyed the tv show, but I saw that CN only had a limited amount of episodes....I didnt see that they were showing it on Saturdays...or that they had taken it off the air...

It did well until the show went into filler episodes, then it was cancelled.
spoiler (highlight to read):
Trust and Betrayal are adaptions of Manga Vol. 19 - 21 where Kenshin explained to his friends why Enishi wants to kill him.
StevieV019 09-17-2003 09:40 AM
Isnt it also a prequel to the tv show though? Thats what I heard...I love what Ive seen of the series, so thats why I picked it up on DVD the other day...
barkworm 09-17-2003 10:38 AM
Of course it'as a prequel but in the manga it was a backflash!
opsnafu 09-18-2003 07:35 AM
I think gto and Initial D are really good. Big Grin
For more info go http://www.tokyopop.com/.
Dark-Vertigo X 09-18-2003 08:20 AM
Outlaw Star is a pretty good anime, if you haven't seen it. I liked it. I saw the first episode of Heat Guy J and it wasn't anything special. Some of my friends say that "Saiyuki" is a pretty good anime, I've got to check that one out. Anybody seen it?