Mark as read

COHugh 10-21-2004 10:37 PM
Is there any possibility of there being a "Mark as read" option for the forums? Personally, I don't go into the MFL (don't have anything against it, it's just not my cup of scalding hot liquid beverage) and would like to be able to just check a box and hit update so that I don't keep thinking there are new posts in the "Smith Mansion" section. Sure, I could just log out and log back in, but I figured I may as well drop the suggestion at least. Big Grin

::is gonna feel really dumb if this exists in some form or fashion::
Asirt 10-21-2004 10:39 PM
This function exists. On the top right corner (just above the New Thread button), there is a "Mark Forum as Read" function. Click on it, and it will mark the subforum as read. I use it all the time.
COHugh 10-21-2004 10:42 PM
Is that an Internet Exploiter function? I don't like Billy Boy's browser, so that might be why I'm not seeing it...
The Fallen Phoenix 10-21-2004 10:42 PM
Well, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...yeah, it already exists...
    Asirt 10-21-2004 10:43 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by COHugh
    Is that an Internet Exploiter function? I don't like Billy Boy's browser, so that might be why I'm not seeing it...

You should be able to see it with any browser.
    COHugh 10-21-2004 10:43 PM
    ::sighs::

Like I said, really dumb.

I need to ring ring ring myself a clue on the banana phone.

Which browser? I use Netscrap... I've been considering Firefox or one of the others. Billy Boy is Bill Gates and his browser is Internet Exploiter (Explorer).
    Delirious 10-21-2004 11:33 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Trisa
    This function exists. On the top right corner (just above the New Thread button), there is a "Mark Forum as Read" function. Click on it, and it will mark the subforum as read. I use it all the time. Smile

Later,
    Trisa

Do you have to do that before you click the new posts button on the forum home page? The reason I ask is that when I clicked on it and then when back into new posts, they forum threads were still there, but the envelope was gray instead (on paradigm skin).

Also, it seems that if you mark the forum as read, that removes all the new posts in that forum so you might be missing on ones that are of some interest to you. Is that right?

Thanks Smile
    Wingnut 10-22-2004 01:08 AM
    Well yes. I personally select the threads I want to view and then open them, usually in new windows. Once I have finished in a particular forum I only then click the mark fourm as red button. However like the original poster I don't post in the MFL and just use the MFAR right away.
    Asirt 10-25-2004 09:57 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mai Angel
    Do you have to do that before you click the new posts button on the forum home page? The reason I ask is that when I clicked on it and then when back into new posts, they forum threads were still there, but the envelope was gray instead (on paradigm skin).

Also, it seems that if you mark the forum as read, that removes all the new posts in that forum so you might be missing on ones that are of some interest to you. Is that right?

Thanks Smile

You should be able to do it before or after you press the new posts button. I think the reason that it is grey is because the new posts are by date... I could be wrong, though.

And for your other question, yes, that's correct. When you click on the "mark as read" button, all posts in that forum will be gray. I do this for the MFL because I'm not a part of that.
    Delirious 10-25-2004 09:17 PM
    Thanks, Trisa Smile