Attachments with macs?

Cecil XIX 10-21-2004 10:06 AM
My school computer is a mac, so I was wondering if there's anyway to post attachments from it.
Document Oosha 10-21-2004 11:01 AM
Instructions for posting attachments would depend on what Web browser you use, not what operating system. Does the school computer have a browser installed?

(Your school only has one computer? I guess I'm glad I'm not you.)
Sakiya 10-21-2004 11:02 AM
I don't know my school has macs too but it won't let me attach anything
Wingnut 10-21-2004 11:11 AM
I think you might be screwed in any case here. You school may have a defence system that will not allow attachments no matter what browser you use.
BabyGhia 10-21-2004 11:47 AM
I think Wingnut is right about that. I'm on a Mac and never have had a problem attaching anything. It should work similar to how it does on Windows.

It attached a screen shot of what it should look like. I'm using Safari 1.2.2 as my web browser and I'm on Mac OS X 10.3.4. Works the same in Netscape and IE.

BabyGhia
    madclarinet 10-21-2004 03:21 PM
    There can be a problem when uploading if the Mac uploads as a 'mac' type document instead of one with an extension.

This happened to one of the academics who uploaded their lecture notes to the webserver. They uploaded in MAC format, once I'd worked it out she uploaded in the right format it worked fine.
    IanC 10-21-2004 04:33 PM
    quote:
    Originally posted by madclarinet
    MAC

Mac you mean (i get so fed up with people typing it in caps)

I persume you meant it was upload without a extension? Since storing a mac file on a non mac drive strips out the resource fork Tongue

Not like you have to worry about that any more. Mac OS X dont use resource forks
    BabyGhia 10-22-2004 12:28 AM
    quote:
    Originally posted by madclarinet
    There can be a problem when uploading if the Mac uploads as a 'mac' type document instead of one with an extension.

This happened to one of the academics who uploaded their lecture notes to the webserver. They uploaded in MAC format, once I'd worked it out she uploaded in the right format it worked fine.

Well, most of the time, as long as you add the extension to the end of the file name, it should work fine. Or you open the document in the program it's meant to open.... not double click on it and then when it does open Word... yadda yadda... nevermind. But that problem doesn't come up that often for me anymore... though I do know to add the extension. I send a lot of files to PC users and don't have a problem. Now webservers are different but again add the extension, take out spaces, zip or stuffit depending on the end user, and you should be fine.

And to clarify, most Mac-Only formats do not exist anymore. PICT still exists but it hardly is ever used. Screenshots are now pdfs instead (they use to be PICT). SimpleText (or TextText) use to only save in .txt format anyway. TextEdit (which replaced those in Mac OS X) saves in .rtf unless you tell it otherwise.

I have a feeling that it is something other than that.

BabyGhia
    madclarinet 10-25-2004 02:14 PM
    The way webservers upload/recognise documents is through several ways,

The main way is by extension, part of the server configuration (well all the ones I've done) take an extension and upload it using something called a 'mime' type (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions). Originally designed for (and still does) sending file via email, it 'informs' a webserver how to handle the file. For instance text, bitmap, binary (.exe), audio (loads of types) and so on.

When its clear cut the server, when correctly configured has no problem sorting out a file with and extension (as long as it has the correct mime type configured).

The problem occurs when the server does not know what the mime type is, either the extension is unknown to it or doesn't have an extension. The server basically makes an educated guess. The common term for it is 'mime magic'. The server looks at the header of the file and trys to work it out. With a file from a macintosh it 'sees' in the header and uploads as a mac/binary file type. Unfortunatly it will usually download correct to another macintosh.

As I said before, its happened to me as one of the staff use a macintosh at home and uploads files from there. I'm not sure there is a way to solve it other than educating the user.

For information here's a list of a lot of the file types, I know theres more but it should give you some idea

http://www.webmaster-toolkit.com/mime-types.shtml

I hope I've explained it well enough - its hard enough for me to understand at times, and I'm susposed to know what I'm doing!
    BabyGhia 10-25-2004 02:43 PM
    That is true also, madclarinet. Though files like jpg, gif, etc, usually don't have problem going from Mac to Windows. Or that much with pdfs.

I have found in my past that usually that happens with other file types and that, yes, it is a server issue. What I will do, if I am worried about that happening, is to compress the file. Usually the decompressing will take care of any MIME issues unless the file is corrupted (In those cases, it's better to just recompress the file and try again).

But it sounds like Cecil XIX is trying to post images, which shouldn't be a problem as long as the file is saved in jpg, gif, bmp, etc. Those file types should work the same from Mac to PC, unless there is something wrong with the image or if it got corrupted while uploading it.

BabyGhia