House of Flying Daggers (December 4th)

Lynnet 10-19-2004 07:04 PM
w00t

The trailer is on Apple's site now. I've been curious about this one since I saw the massive line for it at the Teluride Film Festival.
Mr. Fortnight 10-25-2004 11:21 PM
I saw the trailer Friday. All I have to say is... Wow.

Hopefully it won't be as dissapointing as Hero.
StevieV019 12-15-2004 11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
I saw the trailer Friday. All I have to say is... Wow.

Hopefully it won't be as dissapointing as Hero.

Disappointing? Jeez...rough crowd...

Personally, I loved Hero, but thats a totally different thread...

Im definitly looking forward to House of Flying Daggers. Pretty much nowadays, the martial arts/kung fu movies are going epic and more and more grand in scale and nature. For that, I cannot be more happier! Anything that brings to life the art of fighting in anyway possible, in a poetic way, an action oriented way, whatever, is good for me. Cant wait...I guess Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon really opened the door to kung fu epics for the West.
StevieV019 01-26-2005 09:15 AM
Saw House of Flying Daggers over the weekend.

It was entertaining, a little predictable plot-wise, but there never is much plot to kung fu/romanticized chinese action movies. The cinematography was great (from the same director who did Hero), as were the wardrobes and costumes. Extravagant color, similiar to Hero.

I did enjoy the movie, and some parts were enjoyable, but to be honest, I was truly let down. I was expecting something grand along the hype and style of Hero. I was a little disappointed. Granted, I will be getting the movie on DVD when it comes out, it still doesnt compare the epic Hero with Jet Li. Definitely some cool parts, the House of Flying Daggers were cool characters and had elegant costumes. The dance scene was cool, as were the scenes where Jin ran and shot his bow and arrow. The scenes where the daggers were thrown were interesting, original, different, but still amazingly cool.

Interested to hear what others have to say, but in all honesty, it still doesnt compare to Hero. All in all, enjoyable though...
Almasy 01-31-2005 10:49 AM
I saw House of Flying Daggers a few weeks ago when it first came out here (January 14th).

To "borrow" from StevieV019:

quote:
I did enjoy the movie, and some parts were enjoyable, but [...] I was truly [disappointed]. I was expecting something grand along the hype and style of Hero [...]. I [don't think that I] will be getting the movie on DVD when it comes out, [because] it [...] doesnt compare [to] the epic Hero with Jet Li [at all]. Definitely some cool parts [...]. The dance scene was cool, as were the scenes where [...] the daggers were thrown [...].

Overall: 5 or 6/10 Frown
StevieV019 01-31-2005 04:21 PM
Didnt live up the expectations either, huh? It had great intentions...but falls short, doesnt it?
BethMcBeth 02-01-2005 01:10 AM
Wow that movie does look pretty cool! The effects look like they might be very nice! I am looking at it from Artistic view you know but have not seen it yet.^_^" Thanks for sharing!
StevieV019 02-01-2005 08:05 AM
It is still very artistic, dont get me wrong. The colors are still rich and deep...vibrant at times, and definitely intriguing. The cinematography is there, just not in the grandness that "Hero" had. Still, not a bad movie, if you're into the artness of film, you'll like this one. Go see it, you wont be disappointed, from that aspect.

If you're looking for plot, action, kung fu, etc. you may be disappointed to a certain degree....
David Ryder 02-18-2005 05:19 PM
looks like it my be decent enough. I like chinese history, mainly the three kingdoms era (Zhao Yun owns).
Nine Kuze 12-02-2005 03:11 PM
Wow, I was just scaning over this and I actually like 'House of Flying Daggers' a little bit more than 'Hero'. It was a real close race but I like 'Flying Daggers' because of the much more deeper plot between the main characters. Don't get me wrong, Hero was epic and unbelieveable but I found Flying Daggers to be more 'down-to-earth' you can say and I just enjoyed the plot much more. And it had Zhang Ziyi in a bigger role, which I was wearning for in Hero.

But that's just me.
Peace.
corrupt 12-16-2005 04:58 PM
I saw house of flying daggers the other day, it was alright but what was th deal with the guys ripping clothes, come on, twas done some many damn times it was just pointless...