Battle Royale

StevieV019 11-11-2003 01:33 PM
There actually is a Battle Royale manga that is released by TokyoPop (new release at that too...)...Im on volume 3 right now...waiting for volume 4 to be released. Very good stuff! Its awesome. I also picked up the actual book that was written by Koushen Takami at Barnes and Noble...good read as well...and yes Kazuo Kiriyama is one incredible Badass....but he dies...so, too bad...personally, I thought Shogo Kawada was pretty cool...

I havent watched the movie though...
Kittie heavenly6 11-11-2003 01:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
There actually is a Battle Royale manga that is released by TokyoPop (new release at that too...)...Im on volume 3 right now...waiting for volume 4 to be released. Very good stuff! Its awesome. I also picked up the actual book that was written by Koushen Takami at Barnes and Noble...good read as well...and yes Kazuo Kiriyama is one incredible Badass....but he dies...so, too bad...personally, I thought Shogo Kawada was pretty cool...

I havent watched the movie though...

Kawada himself is pretty awesome, I do have to admit.

I knew there is a manga for it, My friend Sarah is actually collecting them. (She could barely watch the movie tho, all the gore and what not)

If you have some Extra cash search for the Hong Kong DVD on eBay, it's worth it.
StevieV019 11-11-2003 02:03 PM
Ive been debating getting the movie, have seen it on eBay as well...I highly recommend the book though...really good stuff...

Speaking of your friend, Sarah, any more pictures of her HUGE ass collection of anime/manga...you posted one earlier...awhile ago...any more updates??
Sharpshooter005 11-11-2003 02:07 PM
quote:
There actually is a Battle Royale manga that is released by TokyoPop

I saw that at a store the other day, almost brought it...

Then remembered my wallet was at home. Frown

Barnes and nobel has the book!? Sweet, I've been wanting to pick that up for a while now.

quote:
yes Kazuo Kiriyama is one incredible Badass....but he dies...so, too bad

Well yeah, normally I can guess what character in any given anime/book/movie/what have you, will die simply based on how cool they are. Since normally..yeah, the best ones die.
StevieV019 11-11-2003 02:12 PM
The manga is really good...the book is as well...Im sure the movie was good..but for some reason Ive been reluctant to watch it...I dunno...guess I dont want the experience spoiled or something...

Anyway...yeah...Kiriyama was cool...the manga adaptations for the characters is really good in my opinion...he looks like a badass in the manga as well...Im kinda interested to see how the movie ends and manga ends in comparison the book....

As for the book, you may need to have Barnes and Noble order it...they only had one copy on the shelf...but it was there nonetheless...
Mega Dominus 11-11-2003 03:48 PM
I have to agree...the novel was very well written and translated, and the story itself ended on a semi-open note that was quite charming to me though, IMHO.

Oh, and the manga does do a good job of illustrating the characters of the novel. It's just that some expectations don't live up to your imagination when reading a book.

That's why reading is GOOD. Pleased
StevieV019 11-11-2003 03:56 PM
I think the art in the manga is really good, there's just a sleek look to all the characters and such...I enjoyed the book, I dunno if a follow up would do well, but it did leave things open...I was somewhat disappointed just because one of my favorite characters didnt turn out the way I wanted him to...it was a shame what happened to him...

But like I said before...it was a great experience reading the book...
Sharpshooter005 11-11-2003 04:31 PM
A follow-up book, no idea on the status of.

There IS, however, a Battle Royale 2 either in production, or finished. Not subbed yet, but following its public showing in London later this year, I'd expect it to leak out onto the net.

From what I gather, it picks up with one of the two survivors, who is now somewhat of a terrorist, trying to make the government pay for the BR program. In response, a similar program is started, to train people to put down the insurgents. Its supposedly more like a war movie this time around, but I've heard its pulled off fairly well.
Mega Dominus 11-11-2003 04:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

There IS, however, a Battle Royale 2 either in production, or finished. Not subbed yet, but following its public showing in London later this year, I'd expect it to leak out onto the net.

From what I gather, it picks up with one of the two survivors, who is now somewhat of a terrorist, trying to make the government pay for the BR program. In response, a similar program is started, to train people to put down the insurgents. Its supposedly more like a war movie this time around, but I've heard its pulled off fairly well.

Oooo...Interesting, indeed. So possible scenarios for BR2 include:

1. Training begins, but all hell breaks loose and Lord of the Flies is revisited...again.

2. The lone insurgent/terrorist/survivor decides to "enter" the new Program and takes everyone else out, Predator style.

3. Or our lone survivor dukes it out ala RAMBO. Hell yeah. 'Nuff said. Big Grin
Kittie heavenly6 11-12-2003 01:31 AM
Quick off topic to Stevie:

I really haven't had to much of a chance to go by Sarah's house lately, but I still plan on getting more pics of her stuff Smile
StevieV019 11-12-2003 08:21 AM
Well, I HAVENT heard anything about a second book, so I figured Id nip that rumor before it was started.....I was simply saying I dont know if a second book could turn out well or not...
Kittie heavenly6 11-12-2003 02:08 PM
quote:

Now that sounds like a good movie. But what happens to Noriko? any idea? (Or is SHE the assasin?)
Sharpshooter005 11-12-2003 02:57 PM
I THINK its Noriko and the other guy, the ones shown at the very end in the city. Could be wrong. It'd make enough sense though.

And the scenario, as it were, for BR2 is this as I understand it.

Survivor of program, and apparently some allies begin terrorist strikes, and gain followers.

Government gets antsy, restarts BR program, but with a different goal. The children are no longer trained to kill each other, but to act as shock-troops to attack the insurgents or what have you.

Full out combat breaks loose.

The VCDs are supposedly coming out next, may already be out (I lack means to buy it, god how I'd LOVE for either of these to secure U.S. distribution..if only the production company would pick up on the numerous offers its been made..). I should go check the net to see if its out for d/l yet..

Heres some stuff about it

IMDB

and

Battleroyalefilm.com page
Falcon 7 11-12-2003 08:45 PM
There is a spoiler heavy review of Battle Royale 2: Requiem over at the Kung Fu Cult Cinema site if anyone is interested.
Mega Dominus 11-12-2003 08:55 PM
quote:
I THINK its Noriko and the other guy, the ones shown at the very end in the city. Could be wrong. It'd make enough sense though.

And the scenario, as it were, for BR2 is this as I understand it.

Survivor of program, and apparently some allies begin terrorist strikes, and gain followers.

Government gets antsy, restarts BR program, but with a different goal. The children are no longer trained to kill each other, but to act as shock-troops to attack the insurgents or what have you.

Full out combat breaks loose.

So it's RAMBO style, eh? Must watch... Drooling

By the way, thanks for the info. Smile
Sharpshooter005 11-12-2003 09:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Falcon 7
There is a spoiler heavy review of Battle Royale 2: Requiem over at the Kung Fu Cult Cinema site if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested. But "spoiler heavy" turned me off Frown

"Battle Royale 2: Requiem". Fun title, hadnt heard it.

quote:
By the way, thanks for the info.

Well I loved the first one, and have way too much free time. So yeah, this occurs. Tongue
azure turtle 11-17-2003 11:27 PM
Forgive me for bringing this thread back up, but I'm currently turning into a BR fanboy. Red Face GK recently brought up BR in another forum, so I thought I'd check over here to see if there were any threads about this. I'm currently reading the English translated versions of the manga being released by Tokyo Pop, and I'm loving it! It's such an awesome story, and the characterizations are incredibly good. I just finished volume 3, and I'm anxiously awaiting volume 4. Btw, anyone know when that'll be released?

As for the movie... haven't seen it yet. I want to get the DVD off of ebay, but I have no idea which one to bid on. Seems like there are different versions (perhaps bootlegs?) of the movie, and I'm afraid of buying a dud. Frown
Kittie heavenly6 11-17-2003 11:31 PM
Yo Azure ^_^

I'd go for one that is from Hong Kong with English Subtitles. That's the one my friend bought, and we watched a few times with no problems. I'm pretty sure it's a bootleg, as most stuff like that from HK is.

And look for the "Uncut" version. It's got slightly more detail, and flash backs etc. 's a great movie.
azure turtle 11-17-2003 11:41 PM
Coolness! Thanks for the advice, GK! I'm dying to see the movie, 'specially after reading through the manga. And if Barnes & Noble has the book... Then I'll probably pick that up too, when I get the chance. Smile )
StevieV019 11-18-2003 08:16 AM
Barnes and Noble should have the book, if not, they can order it for you, they'll probably have it within a week or so after ordering it. I was fortunate enough to find it on the shelf, but like I said before, they only had one copy. If worst comes to worst, you can order it online somewhere...its actually becoming pretty prevalent at online vendors.

As for Volume 4 (Ive been reading the manga as well...finished vol. 3 recently...good stuff...) coming out...at the Tokyopop website (www.tokyopop.com) they list a street date (or release date) of 12/9/03. So Id imagine itll be available shortly after that date. From time to time they've been delayed in getting their books in stores, Ive noticed. But only a couple of weeks away...the delay can be killer...

Hope this helps...